Walking through my local grocery store bakery department, I spotted some beautiful cannoli, and remembered how much I love(d) them. Of course, I started devising a way to get all those flavours into something low-carb. The shells would be a bit more of a challenge.. I haven’t attempted that yet but it’s in my radar. But let’s be honest, the best part of cannoli is the inside, right?
It occurred to me while I was making this recipe that mascarpone cheese would work just as well, if not better than cream cheese. I didn’t have any on hand, but I will make my next batch with that.. when I can find it on sale. Mascarpone seems to be insanely expensive, at least in Canada. I could buy 2 tubs of Halo Top for what it costs for a 15oz container of mascarpone, lol.
This is an egg-free recipe. I felt with the high fat content of the cheese(s), a custard-base wouldn’t be necessary, and I was right. The upside to this not having to wait hours for the base to cool before you can churn it.
You can use salted or unsalted pistachios here. I had salted on hand so that’s what I used, and in my opinion makes the flavours pop a little more.
I put in for 1/2 tsp of cinnamon. I actually used a whole tsp because I looove cinnamon, but it’s very cinnamon-y, so adjust to your taste.
Low Carb Cannoli Ice Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup half & half
- 3/4 cup Erythritol or Sukrin Gold brown (erythritol)
- 2 tbsp vegetable glycerin
- 1 (15 oz) container full fat soft ricotta cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened and diced into small cubes (or use mascarpone)
- Seeds of 1 vanilla bean (or 1 tsp extract)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar-free chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup roasted pistachios, chopped
- In a blender or with a hand mixer, combine heavy cream, half & half, sugar and vegetable glycerin and blend mixture on low speed until sugar has dissolved, about 1 minute. Add in ricotta, cream cheese (or mascarpone), vanilla and cinnamon, and blend mixture until well pureed.
- Refrigerate until chilled, then churn according to manufactures directions. Add in chocolate chips and pistachios during last few minutes of processing.
- Transfer to airtight container and freeze until firm set.